Mrs. K At Home This and that, and all the things I love!

Monday, September 23, 2013

My Cannoli Cream Spread & How To Serve It!

I was browsing through Facebook and came across a recipe for Cannoli Dip posted by my cousin's wife. It is almost identical to mine except I use marscapone cheese instead of cream cheese. In addition, I add a couple of tablespoons of Marsala wine, or now and then, Strega Liqueur. YUM! So... I thought I would share, but no photos, don't think it has ever lasted long enough to photograph!

Mrs. K's Cannoli Cream Spread

2 cups ricotta cheese
8 oz marscapone cheese, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp sweet Marsala wine or Strega Liqueur
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips or coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
1 tsp each of cinnamon and instant espresso coffee

Blend the cheeses, vanilla, and wine until smooth, but don't overdo it. Gently and slowly blend in the confectioner's sugar - so as not to shoot it all over the kitchen, ; ). Fold in the chocolate. Allow to chill overnight to meld the flavors.

When ready to serve, bring to room temperature. Mix the cinnamon and espresso powder together and sprinkle over the cheese.

This spread can be served a number of ways. First, break up large cannoli shells into chip size pieces, or serve with a mildly sweet cookie, such as shortbread, Amaretti cookies, or vanilla wafers along with coffee, espresso, tea, or a nice liqueur. I've even served this on my ricotta cookies instead of glazing them. Spread on toast with jam or fruit butter; I love it with my apricot or plum butters!

To make a simple but special dessert, slice fresh peaches in half after rubbing off the fuzz. Place in a buttered glass baking dish and roast at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until soft. Add a small scoop of the cannoli cream, dress with crushed amaretti cookies and the cinnamon/espresso powder - just a bit to taste. If peaches aren't in season, canned peach halves, drained, will do just fine. Roast for 15 minutes or so, until the edges get a bit brown. Or... simply use the peaches right from the can at room temperature. Canned pear halves are very good too.

I've also used pannetone, which I've sliced crosswise like cake layers, and spread this between. I pour a little honey mixed with the liqueur over the whole thing. Another yummy!

This is a versatile spread and the sky is pretty much the limit. Enjoy!

Deliciously yours,
Mrs. K.




1 comment:

  1. Sinful, Mrs. K, simply sinful! When do we dine???

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete