Mrs. K At Home This and that, and all the things I love!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Apple Butter and.... Pork!

Yes, that's an avocado green stove in my kitchen - the dang thing won't die! It must be as old as the apartment - almost forty years, the original stove my in-laws had. It is still going strong. But, that is neither here nor there, just thought I'd mention it. I'm retro, but Victorian retro! Someday I'll have the stove of my dreams. Really, I can't complain about this one, it works so well.

The real point of this post, now that I've stopped yammering on about the avocado green stove, is what I did last night for supper with some of this apple butter pictured above! I smeared it all over two pork tenderloins - yummy! Let me tell you how I do my pork tenderloin which always roasts up fabulously.

I buy the package with two tenderloins, remove from package, rinse and pat dry. I then place them in a ceramic dish - old fashioned refrigerator dish with a lid . I measure out, into another bowl, about three cups of apple cider or juice, add a tablespoon of allspice berries, a teaspoon of whole cloves, two teaspoons of cinnamon, half an onion, coarsely chopped, 3 garlic cloves, smashed and cut into four pieces, 2 teaspoons of Celtic sea salt (much healthier and lots of minerals), 2 teaspoons dried thyme and some freshly ground peppercorns. I give this a little mix then pour over the pork tenderloins, lifting each tenderloin so the marinade gets underneath. This marinade should come up to at least halfway on the tenderloins; if not, add a little more apple cider. You could even add some wine, which I have done - used Marsala wine - delish! Pop the dish into the fridge, turning the tenderloins over later in the day. I usually marinate about eight hours, flipping them after four. There's no set time, leave them overnight if you like.

When I am ready to cook, I heat some unrefined, organic coconut oil in a saute pan large enough to accommodate one tenderloin. I brown and sear each side of the tenderloin; watch carefully because the marinade draining from the meat will caramelize and can burn. When the meat is browned nicely, I place each in a roasting dish which has been coated with some coconut oil - no, you don't taste any coconut. I spread about half a cup of the apple butter on the top and sides of each tenderloin, then surround with a pile of little new potatoes. I season the potatoes with Celtic salt and dot with plenty of good, organic butter. I roast in a preheated 425 degree oven until my meat thermometer reaches 155 - 160 degrees. I let the meat rest a good fifteen minutes before slicing. I served the pork and potatoes with buttered broccoli. The tenderloin was juicy and sweet. The potatoes picked up the sweet apple spice flavor from the meat. Happy Mr. K, happy Mrs. K!

A note about ingredients: I use unrefined, organic coconut oil to fry and saute as well as greasing pans. I use it in baking also. It never leaves a coconut taste and it is incredibly healthy - read the The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife and/or Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I also use plenty of organic, pastured butter - also very healthy. These are good, natural and wholesome nourishing fats which we all need; what we don't need are the processed and rancid vegetable oils sold in grocery stores. Salt - I only use real, course Celtic Sea Salt - the gray stuff that comes slightly damp. This is a mineral-rich, nourishing salt. The apple cider and juice I use is always organic. I try to use organic veggies and fruits as much as I can find and afford. The honeycrisp apples in my apple butter are organic, the sugar is not, it was just too expensive. I don't fret about it, I use the best I can.

So... tonight - leftovers!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment